Apple Dappy Recipe
Bramley apples are the apples of choice for this buttery, flaky dessert, but since they are hard to find in the US, a good substitution is Granny Smith or other tart crisp apples. A filling is made, spread on a buttery pastry, rolled like a jelly-roll and sliced. Once baked, it’s best served warm.
1 pound tart cooking apples, such as Bramley or Granny Smith
1 large lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2-3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons whipping cream, for brushing the top
1/4 cup sugar, for the top
Custard, or sweetened whipped cream for serving
- Filling: Peel the apples, core them, and chop into small dice.
- Place them in a saucepan with the lemon juice, lemon peel, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until the apples are tender; set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9" cake pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment, and spray the parchment.
- Pastry: mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add the butter pieces and cut them in until the mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Add the milk and mix until it makes a slightly sticky dough (I use the food processor to save time, but a mixer works well and it can also be done by hand).
- Turn the dough onto a floured pastry cloth and roll out to a rectangle about 8" x 12".
- Spread the apple mixture over the pastry and roll up jelly-roll style, starting at the long edge, and seal the seam.
- Cut the pastry into 8 slices and place them in the prepared pan.
- Brush with the 2 tablespoons heavy cream and sprinkle with the topping sugar.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a little before serving topped with custard, sweetened whipped cream, or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 341 Calories from Fat 151
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 4% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per ServingDesserts/Apple%20Dappy.jpg
Total Fat 17 g 26%
Saturated Fat 10 g 51%
Cholesterol 46 mg 15%
Sodium 448 mg 19%
Total Carbohydrate 44 g 15%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 5%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 18% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.